Some have proposed that the three unclean spirits like frogs, taken from Revelation 16:15, refers to the spirit of the French Revolution. Whilst it is true that the French Revolution is a most significant historic phenomenon that has changed the course of world history, we wish to examine the validity of such an assertion.
The Three Unclean Spirits Like Frogs and the Great Day of God Almighty
The idea of it being the spirit of revolution is based upon the following premises:
- Three unclean spirits correspond with the cry of “liberty, equality, fraternity” which arose from the revolution.
- The “unclean spirits like demons” are a Biblical expression that describes insanity. So the uprising of the people and the political mayhem it creates is asserted to be a perfect example of the insanity of one ‘possessed’ by such an unclean spirit.
- Three frogs were found on the historical “banner of Clovis” – a heraldic symbol of this medieval king of the Franks (the ‘barbarian’ predecessors to the modern French).
We wish to examine the above premises in light of the context of Revelation 16 and also the Scriptural use of the ancient Greek concept of demon possession. We will then apply our findings to the expression in hand to draw our own conclusions on the matter.
“Liberty, Equality, Fraternity”?
Whilst this sounds a plausible explanation, it seems to lack support from the context. The Apocalypse speaks of three spirits from the perspective of their origins, not from their identification with an ideology. There was only one spirit – “like to frogs”, not three – and it comes from three mouths. The same kind of demon, not three different kinds, had possessed all three entities. The idea is of a unifying force, i.e. a common spirit coming from three different sources.
It speaks of ‘something’ that will unite the Dragon (Russia), the Beast (secular Europe) and the False Prophet (the Papacy) to the extent that they will all be “possessed” by a common policy. This in turn will influence the nations to such an extent that they will go to war against Israel.
If we are to accept the well documented evidence for the “frogs” being representative of the French and if our conclusions in the above paragraph were the limit of our evidence, we could be tempted to suggest that this unifying spirit could be the “restless, revolutionary, progressive spirit of French Democracy”. However, before we do so, we need to further examine the following:
- What concept is the Lord trying to convey by his use of the term “unclean spirits … the spirits of demons”? In light of the Scriptural use of this terminology, is it a fitting description of political unrest and the democratic spirit?
- How do we reconcile such a conclusion with Revelation 11:11 which tells us that the French Revolution was the “spirit of life from God” which gave life to the witnesses against tyranny? Was “the spirit of life from God” an “unclean spirit”?
Three Unclean Spirits Like Frogs – and Demons
The Scriptural use of the pagan mythological concept of demons is a fascinating thing to explore. Once understood, it is quite clear that it has nothing to do with “doctrines of devils” but rather is a very intelligent use of a well-known ancient concept to make a very clear point without giving any credence to it.
A study of the Biblical use of demon possession is large enough for an article, or series of articles, in itself. Suffice it for now to summarize what we would find by the following points:
- The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that demons were intermediary gods between mortals and the heavenly gods inhabiting Olympus, whose chief was Zeus. As such they were far more intelligent and noble than mortals and served as messengers between the two.
- Because of their superior intelligence, many of the things they spoke were difficult to understand by mortals. Thus, when a person whom we today would describe as “insane” raved irrationally, their superstitious contemporaries believed they were possessed by a demon and conveying messages from the gods which were difficult to understand. As such, many insane people were revered and even feared in ancient times.
- This well-known concept of demon possession was skilfully used by New Testament writers to describe the influence of Greek and Roman idolatry which had “possessed” Israel after occupation. The Lord Jesus by his use of language such as “come out of him” was demonstrating that his Father was not only more powerful than all the Greek and Roman gods but also that he had come to “cast out” the idolatrous influences that Israel had been “possessed” with. If they had only been converted, then God would also have “cast out” the Roman invaders themselves. But in the prophetic scheme of things this was not to be.
- The Bible uses the Greek word daimonon to describe idols. Examples are:- Matt. 12:24 “Beelzebub (Philistine god of Ekron) Prince of the Demons” … 1 Cor. 10:20 “they sacrificed to demons and not to God” – referring to those frequenting the temple of the Aphrodite and quoting from Deut. 32:17 where the context is clearly a reference to the idols of Canaan. The Apocalypse itself uses the expression this way in 9:20 “that they should worship demons and idols of gold and silver and brass and stone and of wood, which neither can see nor hear nor walk” (taken from Psa. 115:4-7 a reference to idols).
From the above then, we can see that the Biblical use of “daimonon” is related to false religious notions (idolatry) which “possess” the people, usually as a result of oppression following conquest. It certainly is a far cry from the enlightenment that comes from liberty and free expression of conscience – the legacy of the French Revolution.
What then is the Scripture trying to convey to us when it speaks of “three unclean spirits, like to frogs, coming out of the mouth of the Dragon, and out of the mouth of the Beast, and out of the mouth of the False Prophet”? Our conclusion is that it predicts a desire to re-establish by false religious means, a Russo-European alliance, following the “drying up” of the Ottoman Empire (symbolized by the river Euphrates) which paved the way for the revival of the nation of Israel.
The inspiration behind this seems to come from the French nation. To this point, at least as far as Europe is concerned, we have seen exactly that. We have also seen the “false prophet” crying out to Europeans “with a heart full of love, discover your roots”. The inspiration for a Unified European superstate has its roots in the Holy Roman Empire of the past, which although Germanic, really began with the Franks. It seeks to weld Europe together under the idolatrous (demonic) influence of the Roman Church and her harlot daughters, which must “possess” them – and the prime mover and tireless supporter behind all this, has been FRANCE.
The three unclean spirits like frogs then, is a French inspired movement in Europe that will ultimately result in a unifying influence, a common spirit, first possessing and then preached as official foreign policy from three “mouths” – Europe, the Papacy and ultimately Russia. The object is political unity so that Europe will never go to war with itself again. The influence behind it is religious reconciliation and a form of religious unity for the sake of financial prosperity. The generator that keeps it moving, is France.
Once this has been achieved, the “kings of the earth and the whole habitable” will be like the ancients of old. They will revere and fear the irrational ravings of statesmen, politicians and religious leaders as if they were “messages from the gods”. Though individually they may not act alone, yet collectively their allegiance to the cause will ignite them into warlike preparations against a revived Israel and lead them on to the war of that great day of God Almighty.